Friday, August 10, 2012

X-Treme Scramble Race Review




Last night DH and I completed the X-Treme Scramble in Hartford, CT. This race was originally supposed to be held on July 26, but was postponed because the weathermen around here got everyone excited about some pretty bad thunderstorms and hail that were coming but of course, never did.


DH works downtown and went to register us at about 4pm. Race was $30 per person, which is a little high, but that is what you get when you register day of the event. Knowing that there was food and beer at the end was worth it. He picked up our t-shirts and bibs and waited for me to meet him.




This race was marketed as "Kick off the 2012 Summer Olympics" so the shirts reflected that. Normal cotton shirts, great for wearing to bed, but not good for working out.





There were torches that participants carried during the race, but I saw a lot of them on the ground :( That was about all the Olympic theming we got.

It was a fairly flat course, on pavement and on trail with one small hill. I'm not sure what was X-Treme about that but I can tell you that running on a trail felt better on my knees. However DH commented that he spent most of his time looking down as to not trip on the various branches, rocks and other small obstacles. I agree.

I finished at 29:16, which is pretty slow for me for a 5k. I'll tell you why I was so slow in my next post.

At the end of the race they had semi-cold Harpoon UFO and Moe's Southwest Grill burittos.  DH has always wanted to do a race with beer at the end, and he was very happy.

The final X-Treme race is August 23rd and even if I am not racing, I will be there to cheer DH on if he is planning on competing.


No comments:

Post a Comment