Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Do I have a stress fracture?

I really enjoy running. During the summer, due to the fact that that fric and frac are home, I find it easier to run than to make it to the gym. So I increase my mileage. And then I get hurt. It was soon after the Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon in June that I started noticing some pressure in my shin. Not shin splints, but something different. Thinking it was a strained muscle, I continued to do my 20 miles per week and even did a few 5k's.  However, the pain did not go away. With the Rock n' Roll Providence Half Marathon coming up on August 19th, I thought I should go to the doctor and have it checked out. As much as I really want to do the race, I don't want to further injury myself.  So, the doctor thinks I have a tibial stress fracture. Going for a bone scan on Tuesday. The x-ray did not show anything, but I'm told it rarely does. He told me if the bone scan  comes back positive, I'm not going to like him very much. I know what that means. Rest, rest and more rest. Going to be very tough for this girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment