Sunday, August 26, 2012

Old Wethersfield 5k Race Review


Yesterday the whole family decided to register for the Old Wethersfield 5k in Wethersfield, CT. It would be the boys first 5k and they were excited. We paid $80 for all 4 of us to run and that included just $10 each for the boys, which I thought was great.  We got up pretty early and parked around the corner from the start line.  There was plenty of parking and no traffic. It was a beautiful morning to run.


Boys



Family ready to race



The race started right on time. It was flat with one hill near the end.  Randy decided to run with C. and I decided to "run" with B. My stress fracture had been talking to me over the past few days, so I knew it would be a walk. Since it was B's first time, I figured he would be taking lots of walking breaks so I could keep up. He ran a little and made his usual camera face:






Here we are time wise at Mile 1:





Holding up the rear! There were a few walkers behind us, but not many. B had fun wearing his iPod and enjoying the beautiful morning.  We reached the end at about 51 minutes.Randy and C met us at the finish line and they had finished at about 32:30!  Great job!

Right before the finish line we were told to "get to the right" by a fellow runner. I am a runner, and I know that if you are walking or need to slow down at anytime in a race to head to the right. Which we were. Besides being on the grass and stepping on people, I'm not sure where else we could have gone.  The path was narrow, but runners need to show a little more respect to the walkers. Very frustrating!

This race was very tough for me. I have never had to walk a race and I'm not sure I would do it again. I found myself green with envy at all those who were running around me.

So I set my personal record for worst 5k ever, but I'm sure proud of my son for sticking with it and finishing!
















No comments:

Post a Comment