Friday, August 10, 2012

Stress Fracture...

So I ran a pretty slow 5k last night. I had a doctor's appointment today and it was confirmed that I do indeed have a tibial stress fracture.  I felt some pain after I ran the Iron Horse Half Marathon in June and continued to run thinking it was some muscle or tendon problem. The pain did not go away but what was of most concern that it was tender to the touch.  So I went to a sports medicine doctor and had an x-ray, then a bone scan. I knew what it was when I was laying on the table at the hospital  I had been told that a stress fracture would light up like a Christmas tree.  Here is my bone scan. See that dark spot in the middle of my leg?  That would be the stress fracture. So pretty...





My stress fracture was not bad enough to cast or even to be put in a boot. Yeah! But I was told to rest if for two weeks before starting some biking and then slowly start running using a specific plan (walking 1/4 mile, jogging 1/4 mile  up to 2 miles for 4-6 weeks). Not doing anything active for two weeks is not going to sit with me well.  I do something active every day and can't see myself sitting around.  I downloaded my gym's aqua schedule thinking that it might be a good option to spend some time in the pool.  We'll see.   The doctor basically told me I was done running races for the rest of the season.

I had registered for Rock n Roll Providence back in July which happens to be next Sunday, August 19th.  I spent $95 on the race, made a hotel reservation and had planned to do the race with a friend.  I'm really sad.  I hate wasting that money (they will not refund money or allow you to defer your race for any reason) and I really wanted that bling at the end of the race. I hate to let my friend down. But I don't want to injure myself further so I can never run or do anything ever again. The race has a 4 hour time limit, which means I could walk it. I have a feeling I might be the proud owner of a $95 t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment