Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Book Review: My Life in Black and White by Natasha Friend


What if you lost the thing that made you who you are?

Lexi has always been stunning. Her butter-colored hair and perfect features have helped her attract friends, a boyfriend, and the attention of a modeling scout. But everything changes the night Lexi's face goes through a windshield. Now she's not sure what's worse: the scars she'll have to live with forever, or what she saw going on between her best friend and her boyfriend right before the accident. With the help of her trombone-playing, defiantly uncool older sister and a guy at school recovering from his own recent trauma, Lexi learns she's much more than just a pretty face. (description from amazon.com)

Sometimes there is nothing better than contemporary YA fiction.   I feel like I have not read enough of it lately.  This book was so good that it encouraged me to go down to the YA section of the library where I work and pick up something else that was not dystopian or fantasy.

Back to the book. Lexi very real. Her emotions are very real. After her accident, she goes through the 5 stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance).  I think the author did a great job of moving Alexa through these stages.   I read some other reviews and people complained that she was a little whiny, but I think that anyone who experience having "a butt face" would do the same. I also think they need to think like a teenager whose looks define them and how they would feel if that changed in an instant.

One of the successful elements of the story was that the author wrote strong supporting characters, especially Ruth, Alexa's sister.  Their conversations reminded me of the conversations I had with my own sister as a teen (those I'm going to tell you like it is and I don't give a crap what you think about me after). I also liked Theo, the boy who was crushing on her and introduced her to a way to increase her self-confidence.

A nice read.

No comments:

Post a Comment