Monday, August 27, 2012

Lots of book reviews

This past week I read 2 YA novels and 2 adult novels.


Jesse cuts her own hair with a Swiss Army knife. She wears big green fisherman's boots. She's the founding (and only) member of NOLAW, the National Organization to Liberate All Weirdos. Emily wears sweaters with faux pearl buttons. She's vice president of the student council. She has a boyfriend.

These two girls have nothing in common, except the passionate "private time" they share every Tuesday afternoon. Jesse wishes their relationship could be out in the open, but Emily feels she has too much to lose. When they find themselves on opposite sides of a heated school conflict, they each have to decide what's more important: what you believe in, or the one you love? (Description from amazon.com).

This was an intelligent, complex adolescent novel. I read it in one sitting. Adolescence is such a confusing time for anyone and I think the characters in this book really reflect that. The book is written from different viewpoints.  Jesse (out and proud) was such a well written character, struggling with a secret relationship and her values. Emily (bi and closeted) was struggling to keep up appearances as the perfect school council vice-president with a boyfriend. Esther (activist) is dealing with the death of her mother and where she fits in. I thought the book had a lot of humor and sentimentality. I especially liked Jesse's parents. I haven't read anything with a GLBT theme that was this good since Hard Love by Ellen Wittlinger. A meaningful book.







As far as Gemma is concerned, her days of dating are over. In fact, it’s her job to cater other peoples’ dates, and that’s just fine by her. At thirty-seven, she has her own business, working as a private chef, and her life feels full and secure. She’s got six steady clients that keep her hands full.

There’s Lex, the fussy but fabulous department store owner who loves Oysters Rockefeller and 1950s comfort food; Willa, who needs to lose weight under doctor’s orders but still believes butter makes everything better; a colorful family who may or may not be part of the Russian mob; an überwealthy Georgetown family; the picture-perfect Van Houghtens, whose matriarch is “allergic to everything”; and finally, a man she calls “Mr. Tuesday,” whom she has never met but who she is strangely drawn to.
For Gemma, cooking is predictable. Recipes are certain. Use good ingredients, follow the directions, and you are assured success. Life, on the other hand, is full of variables. So when Gemma’s takes an unexpected turn on a road she always thought was straight and narrow, she must face her past and move on in ways she never would have imagined. Because sometimes in life, all you need is a little hope, a lot of courage, and---oh yes---butter. (Description from http://www.amazon.com).

I recently read Always Something There to Remind Me by Beth Harbison and I enjoyed it. When I saw the pretty cupcakes on the cover, I put it in my basket at the library.  Who could resist a book with cupcakes on the cover? This was a good beach read. The main character is likeable and the food made it fun. The book is a little predictable, but worth a read.





 Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness…
He was beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I’d never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily…
Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other’s most private wounds…and desires.
The bonds of his love transformed me, even as i prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...
(Description from barnesandnoble.com)

Over two days, I had my dental hygienist and my hairdresser tell me to read this book. So put it on reserve in the library. I felt like I was reading 50 Shades of Grey. It was basically the same story, girl meets rich powerful man with some issues. Except Eva was very experienced compared to Anna and Gideon was less into bondage than Christian. There was a lot of sex and it just got repetitive after a while.  The second book in the Crossfire series, Reflected in You, comes out in the fall. Not sure if I will put it on my hold list.





When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night--but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.

When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy. (Description from amazon.com).

If you like contemporary YA/Adult fiction this one is for you. It is definitely a mature YA novel, because it deals with kids in college and some of their issues. I downloaded this book on my Kindle in the morning and finished it in the evening. I thought the pacing was solid and the characters were real and like able.   It had just the right amount of romance/sex which I needed after reading Bared to You.    I wish I had a Lucas when I was in college...


No comments:

Post a Comment