Monday, September 10, 2012

Books and other stuff...

I did a lot of reading this weekend,  3 adult books and 1 YA.  I also managed my first walk in two weeks, 3.1 miles. It felt pretty good and I am curious to see if I have any after-effects tomorrow.  I see the doctor on Tuesday and maybe he will give me the go ahead to increase my activity.  I have not done a lot of cardio in the past few weeks and I am missing a good sweat!

As for books I read another one by Jill Mansell. The first one was called:



When Nadia Kinsella meets Jay Tiernan, she's tempted. Of course she is. Stranded together in a remote Cotswold pub, with a snowstorm raging outside—let’s face it, who would ever know? But Nadia’s already met The One. She and Laurie have been together for years—they’re practically childhood sweethearts, and she still gets goosebumps at the sight of him. Okay, maybe she doesn’t see that much of him these days, but that’s not Laurie’s fault. She can’t betray him. Besides, when you belong to a family like the Kinsellas—bewitchingly glamorous grandmother Miriam, feckless mother Leonie, stop-at-nothing sister Clare—well, someone has to exercise a bit of self-control, don’t they? I mean, you wouldn’t want to do something that you might later regret. (Description from amazon.com).

I think my next goal in life is to read all of Jill Mansell's books. They make me happy.  I liked this as much as I liked Staying at Daisy's.  She just writes great chick lit. I love her family dynamics, her quirky characters and her humor.

I also downloaded the sequel to Ruby Blue, Deja Blue on my Kindle and polished that off in a day.


 


Ruby's back with her fairy friends and this time, she stumbles upon some of the mysteries of the Water Court. Now, being pursued by an unknown force, Ruby's fairy friends step in to protect her. However, trouble seems to follow Ruby around every corner and even her fairy guardians need to call in reinforcements...but at what cost? Faced with a seemingly impossible challenge, Ruby must decide if and how she will help out her fairy friends. Will she pledge her allegiance to the Earthen Court? Or will she find new comfort and protection in the Water Court? (Description from amazon.com).

Sometimes the second book in a trilogy is not very strong or just used as a set up for the final book. Deja Blue was just as strong as Ruby Blue if not stronger. Still had the same elements as the first; romance, a strong teenage voice, adventure and friendship all wrapped up with magic and fairies. Julie Cassar included a lot of fun pop culture references (Twilight, Harry Potter, Kate Middleton) and a love triangle. It will be fun to see who Ruby chooses. Highly recommended!


Happened to be browsing the shelves at my town library and found a book by one of my favorite children's book authors! I love to read and recommend books by Kate Klise and was very excited she wrote an adult novel.






A European vacation. A luggage mix-up. A note from a secret admirer.
Meet two single parents who think they're too busy to date.
And two teenagers who can't stop writing flirty emails.
This is a tale of connections—missed and made—in a universe that seems to have its heart set on reuniting Ms. 6B and Mr. 13C.
Webb
I can't believe I picked up the wrong bag at the airport. My dad is never going to let me hear the end of it.
Coco
I don't understand why Mom told me to pack my worst underwear. And now I've lost my bag? Ack!
Andrew
I cannot stop thinking about that woman in seat 6B on the flight to Paris.
Daisy
I don't have time to worry about the creep sitting in 13C who slipped a note in my purse. I have to find my daughter's missing bag before this ruins our vacation.(Description from amazon.com).

Loved, loved, loved this one. This would be appropriate for older YA's and adults. It is written in the same style as Kate Klise's children's novels; with lots of different characters and instead of letters, lots of e-mails. I love when books are told from different character's point of view. It makes the story much more interesting. This was a quick fun read, maybe a little predictable but lots of fun.

The final book that I read this weekend was the deepest and most thought provoking. I have read both These Things Hidden and The Weight of Silence, also by Heather Gudenkauf. One Breath Away had been on my Must Read list for a few months now and I was excited to receive it from the library.




In the midst of a sudden spring snowstorm, an unknown man armed with a gun walks into an elementary school classroom. Outside the school, the town of Broken Branch watches and waits.
Officer Meg Barrett holds the responsibility for the town's children in her hands. Will Thwaite, reluctantly entrusted with the care of his two grandchildren by the daughter who left home years earlier, stands by helplessly and wonders if he has failed his child again. Trapped in her classroom, Evelyn Oliver watches for an opportunity to rescue the children in her care. And thirteen-year-old Augie Baker, already struggling with the aftermath of a terrible accident that has brought her to Broken Branch, will risk her own safety to protect her little brother.
As tension mounts with each passing minute, the hidden fears and grudges of the small town are revealed as the people of Broken Branch race to uncover the identity of the stranger who holds their children hostage. (Description from amazon.com).

The story is told from five different viewpoints, and through these five people you learn not only their back stories but the back stories of all the other people in the town of Broken Branch that will be affected by this incident. I was surprised that I didn't have to go back to the beginning to the chapter to remember who was speaking, the voices are very clear.  The book was intense and suspenseful. As I sit here writing while my children are at school, I can't imagine what an incident like that would be like. I pray everyday that this doesn't happen again anywhere.  This book would make a great for a great discussion. Questions are included in the paperback version.










No comments:

Post a Comment