Sunday, September 23, 2012

Book Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire




The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand. Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’ apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match. (Description from amazon.com).

Browsing the bookstore, I kept seeing Beautiful Disaster all over the place, and especially next to 50 Shades of Grey. I read some reviews that it was similar to 50 Shades, but without all the sex.  I also found out that it was first published independently and then picked up by a publisher. It is such a great thing to work in a library because I was shelving some new books and in the pile was Beautiful Disaster. So I checked to make sure it was not reserved and took it home.

This book was so-so.  It was strangely addicting. Even though I did not really connect with the characters, I found myself not being able to put it down because I wanted to see where this relationship was headed. I really hated the abusive, co-dependent relationship between Abby and Travis. The girl needs to have some self-respect. Travis becomes very controlling and stalker-ish. Abby sort of teases him and plays with his mind. Yuck!  I was never attracted to the "bad boy" type and have consoled many a friend who has been deeply affected by a crazy relationship. The ending was a little rushed and unbelievable.

The writing was ok and I found myself skimming parts of the book. There were few plot problems (no spoilers here!). See if you agree with me. There were some cheesy moments; Travis singing in the cafeteria stands out as one. Maybe I am too far removed from college to appreciate this. Or maybe this does happen in college cafeterias? I went to a women's college and it definitely did not!

Jamie McGuire is working on the sequel Walking Disaster which comes out in the spring of 2013. It is told from Travis' point of view. You can read find out more on the author's website: http://www.jamiemcguire.com/

This book is marketed as a YA but I will tell you it is an older YA; high school senior or college-aged/adult. Not a book for younger teens. Ages 17+

The book has also been optioned by Warner Brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment