Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Book Review: Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell




 
Bono met his wife in high school, Park says.
So did Jerry Lee Lewis, Eleanor answers.
I’m not kidding, he says.
You should be, she says, we’re 16.
What about Romeo and Juliet?
Shallow, confused, then dead.

I love you, Park says.
Wherefore art thou, Eleanor answers.
I’m not kidding, he says.
You should be.
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love—and just how hard it pulled you under. (Description from http://www.amazon.com)

My thoughts:

I heard a lot of buzz about a YA book that takes place in the 80's and I knew I had to read it. I found it in our library system and got it on Saturday morning. I finished it on Saturday night.    My kids like to say I am stuck in the 80's.  I probably am. This book just cemented it. You don't have to have been in high school in the 80's in order to enjoy this book, but it was sure fun reading about some things that defined that decade, such as: U2, a Walkman, and mix tapes. Brought back a lot of memories.

Rainbow Rowell is a great writer. The book is told through alternating points of view. I really enjoy when an author does this and does it well. Because Eleanor and Park come from different places, both literately and figuratively (Eleanor in a dysfunctional family- Park has a loving family), it made a lot of sense.  She was able to capture all of their feelings, hopes and dreams.  She had me hooked from the very first chapter where Eleanor gets on the school bus and no one will give her a seat. Ugh. It was so real and my heart broke for her.

The story takes place in 1986. I was 16 and in high school in 1986. Although I did not date in high school, if I did happen to have fallen in love in high school, I would have wanted it to go something like this. Slow in the beginning and bittersweet in the end. If you are a fan of a coming of age story, you need to read this.

 Eleanor and Park is a sweet romance book for teens and for adults who can remember what it was like to be a teen and fall in love.
 
Perfection. 

Highly recommended!

Looking forward to reading Attachments, also by the same author.

And maybe a sequel?













1 comment:

  1. so i havent been on your blog in a while and need and new book to read...you have been one busy girl! I now have quite a list..thank you! Have you read "Where'd you go Bernadette" i just finshed and loved it..I think you would too. I also ready and enjoyed "MOst Talkative" by Andy Cohen..totally combined my love of pop culture and bravo

    ReplyDelete