Monday, February 25, 2013

Fitness!

Sorry it has been so long since a blog post. I increased my hours at work and have been trying to balance that with the boys, running, reading, the husband, the house, etc. The blog is the last thing on my list.  I had a little time before work and decided to do a quick blog post not about books but about fitness! I hope to have a race review in March. The husband and I are doing a St. Patrick's Day 5k on the 17th and then I have something in the works for April. Fingers crossed!
 
Yesterday I did a 7 mile run on the treadmill, which is the longest run that I have been able to do since July!  The leg feels good today, so I must be doing something correct.  I found a half-marathon training program that consists of run/walk training. Here it is: http://running.competitor.com. I figured I needed to start from scratch when trying to come back from an injury. Also, because I am trying to be more aware of my body, I like that I can run the miles for a particular day, or scale back and run/walk if I am feeling any twinges.

Because I am feeling great and itching to get back into some racing, I signed up for the Danbury Half Marathon on April 7th. I paid in full but also paid the extra $7 for insurance in case I am ill or too injured to run.  I have a friend to run with and my husband is running the 5k, so he can cheer me on. 

I also decided that I needed a new pair of shoes. After a couple of pairs that I bought and returned, I finally found these:



I have a couple pairs of not so expensive Asics that I absolutely adore.  So I went with a mid-priced pair.  I wore them yesterday for the first 5 miles of my run, then decided to change into an older pair. I felt like I needed to break them in a little more.  So far so good. Plus, I love the color. Nice and cheerful.

I also found myself watching an infomercial one late evening for this exercise program called JNL Fusion. It looked to be a little like Insanity (but a little less insane) and with weights.  I ordered it and it came in the mail so I added it to my routine last week.  Each DVD is about 30 minutes and concentrates on a specific body part (shoulders, legs, biceps) mixed in with some intense cardio. Like the dreaded burpees and lots of plyo. I did the Shoulder Shredder this morning and was beat at the end of the 30 minutes. It came with a calendar to guide you as to which DVD to do for that particular day. I am not sure how much I am going to follow the calendar because of my running, but I do like having something else to fall back on on days that I am not running or can't get to the gym. Mixing things up is always good.  You can read more about JNL Fusion on their website here: http://www.bodyfx.com/JNL_C1/

To quote an instructor at my gym: "Today is a great day for fitness!"

No comments:

Post a Comment